Happy first day back to work in 2016! Yikes. Today hit me like a ton of bricks and I am not prepared for a full week of work! Since 2016 is in full swing I decided to talk a little about New Year’s Resolutions.
Everyone has the best intentions for the new year. While I love the enthusiasm of everyone jumping on the healthy bandwagon, I have to say; I hate resolutions (and yet, I still set some for myself). I firmly believe if you want to make a change in your life, that you’ll do it when the time is right. If you feel inclined to set a goal for yourself in the middle of the night, the end of the summer, or right now – you’re ready. If you feel like you’re not ready to follow a plan to achieve that goal, don’t do it. You’re only setting yourself up for failure.
So, what are my resolutions? Mine are pretty open-ended. At the end of every year I’m just hopeful that I’m a better person than I was last year (cheesy but true).
- Eat a variety of healthy foods. I admit it. I get stuck in the biggest ruts when it comes to eating. I have eaten the same breakfasts for months now (avocado toast!). There are so many healthy ways to start the day I need to make more of an effort.
- Be in the moment. Put down my darn phone and BE ALL THERE.
- Spend more time with my husband. Yep, I live with the guy, but gosh darn it, work sure gets in the way of being with each other. More meals together, more date nights, etc.
- Experience new cultures. We have booked our flights to Europe and we are going to experience the crap out of every city we see.
Since we are starting a brand new year, how about a meal plan to kick off 2016? Like I said, I want more variety of healthy foods so we are steering into the unknown and new-to-me recipes this week.
- Monday: Lasagna (made with lean ground beef and way less cheese) with salads
- Tuesday: Chicken Zoodles Lo Mein – Adding brown rice noodles because we can’t live without carbs.
- Wednesday: Chicken and Wild Rice Salad with Almonds – I’m subbing the sugar for honey.
- Thursday: Shrimp Fra Diavolo with salads
- Friday: Whole Wheat Calzones
- Saturday: Date night!
- Sunday: Loaded Twice Baked Potatoes – nixing the cheese and subbing in Greek yogurt instead of sour cream
What are you eating this week?
What are your 2016 resolutions/goals/intentions?